A SYDNEY paedophile, who instructed and watched the live rape of young children online in the Philippines has told a court he rationalised his behaviour because the victims appeared “happy” and he was not physically present during their abuse.
The offender is the first person in NSW to be charged with cybersex trafficking — an emerging crime where people instruct fellow paedophiles to abuse children in third-world countries and watch the abuse over a live stream.
“Basically I previously rationalised the fact that because I wasn’t physically present I wasn’t physically committing the offences as such — I was somehow not a part of it,” he told the NSW District Court during his sentencing hearing today.
The offender, who has pleaded guilty to 20 counts of causing a child to have sexual intercourse, told the court he only realised the damage he had caused to his victims after watching and reading media reports about the harm done to victims of cybersex trafficking.
“The children appeared happy … the children appeared to be receiving benefit from the actual situation,” he said.
After The Daily Telegraph fought a non-publication order on Monday, the media will be allowed to identify the sex offender — but not for 24 hours so that he can arrange for extra protection in custody.
Under questioning from his defence barrister Lester Fernandez — the offender told the court how he had watch the live child abuse sex shows on his Skype account from the comfort of his Surry Hills home.
“I’m deeply ashamed- I constantly think about my victims, the effect and the damage I have caused them.”
He said at the time he watched the pay-per-view shows he was not thinking of the children but believed they were getting a financial benefit.
When asked why he did what he did he replied: “Basically just for sexual gratification, my own personal gratification.”
The court heard of how the offender — a middle-aged caucasian man — decided to give assistance to the police because people in the Philippines continued to use young children in live, online child abuse shows and he wanted “just to stop the abuse from continuing”.
He also told the court of how he was part of a Facebook group with paedophiles who shared child porn.
After he stopped paying for the live sex shows in 2012 he continued to watch the videos he had downloaded until his arrest in 2014.
On Monday the Daily Telegraph revealed the growing prevalence of the crime and how the NSW Police Sex Crimes Squad was working together with Australian Federal Police to investigate these type of offences.
NSW police sex crimes boss, Detective Superintendent Linda Howlett recently told an inquiry in human trafficking that she believed the man was first person to be charged with the “pay-for-view” in NSW.
“Basically, they will dictate to particular offender, who might have children in the house, what activities they would like to perform on the children of a sexual nature, whether it is the children are being tortured, beaten, sexually assaulted,” Superintendent Howlett said.
“So the offender in New South Wales will dictate to the offender that is actually carrying out the acts in the other country,” she said.
In a recent submission to the inquiry International Justice Mission Australia said the industry was expanding in third-world countries partly because of the demand coming from NSW.
“Cybersex trafficking is a rapidly growing crime that is being fuelled in part by an expanding market in NSW,” the submission said.
Superintendent Howlett said law enforcement agencies expected it would be an expanding industry — particularly in the Philippines.
“We have seen an increase in that with the Philippines; across the entire country we are seeing an indication of that increasing. We are also seeing internationally this is a common thread we are seeing in the future.
The sentencing hearing continues before Judge Christopher Craigie.
First paedophile in NSW charged with cybersex trafficking Emma Partridge, The Daily Telegraph March 27, 2017Tweet