MUNCIE, Ind. – More than eight years ago, convicted child rapist Alfred William Cash’s daughter told The Star Press her father used churches to gain access to youngsters.
“He’s a chameleon,” she said during an October 2008 interview. “He gets in good with the church. He gets in good with the parents.”
At that time, Cash faced prosecution both in Delaware County, where he was charged with failing to register as a sex offender, and in Dayton, Ohio, where he had been accused of repeatedly exposing himself to occupants of an apartment building.
This past week, Cash – now 59 and again living in Dayton – was charged with two counts of child molesting in Delaware Circuit Court 5.
Court documents filed by Deputy Prosecutor Doug Mawhorr allege Cash engaged in sex acts with a 5-year-old girl while he was living in Muncie in November 2005.
Authorities said his contact with the girl came through his friendship with a relative — who had became acquainted with Cash at a local church.
An initial hearing is set for June 12.
An Oklahoma rape
Cash was living in Muncie in the summer of 1990 when he was arrested on allegations he had sexually assaulted a girlfriend’s 12-year-old daughter in Oklahoma.
He would plead guilty to first-degree rape in an Oklahoma City courtroom, drawing a 20-year prison term.
He was granted parole in October 1998, and in ensuing years apparently divided his time between Muncie and the Dayton area.
In November 2007, then-Prosecutor Mark McKinney charged Cash with failing to register as a sex or violent offender with Delaware County authorities.
However, that charge — which carried a maximum three-year sentence — was put on hold and eventually dismissed in 2014.
Delays in the local failure-to-register case were the result of Cash’s legal problems — involving far more serious charges — that had developed in Ohio.
In September 2008, a federal grand jury indicted Cash, alleging he had violated the Adam Walsh Act when he failed to register with Ohio authorities after moving there from Indiana.
He pleaded guilty in that case in March 2009, and was sentenced to seven years and six months in federal prison.
In June 2010, a federal appeals court overturned Cash’s conviction, ruling the Walsh law did not apply to him because it was not yet in effect “at the time of his alleged criminal conduct.”
That court victory did not allow Cash to go free, or to return to Delaware County to stand trial on the 2007 charge.
In January 2009, he had been convicted of two counts of gross sexual imposition of a child, involving a pair of victims younger than 13, in a Montgomery County court. Cash was sentenced to six years in an Ohio prison.
He was released from prison in 2014. According to the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation & Correction’s sex offender registry, Cash then returned to Dayton.
That’s where Muncie police early this year interviewed him about the allegations that have resulted in the new charges.
‘He sneaks into your room’
Cash’s daughter, who was not living in Indiana at the time, contacted The Star Press after an article about his father’s legal problems was published in 2008.
She recalled a difficult childhood — in part spent in Muncie — that saw her repeatedly abused, sexually and otherwise, by her father.
“One minute, he’s beating you,” she said. “The next minute, he’s the best dad in the world. And then that night, he sneaks into your room.”
A Hockessin man was sentenced to seven life terms plus 80 years in prison for raping a child over a nine-year period, the Delaware Department of Justice said Friday.
Robert Hearne, 51, was tried and convicted in January on seven counts of rape in the first degree, four counts of unlawful sexual conduct in the second degree, one count of unlawful sexual conduct in the first degree, continuous sexual abuse of a child, sexual abuse of a child by a person in a position of trust in the first degree and dangerous crime against a child.
The victim revealed to a therapist that Hearne sexually abused her.
Hearne was sentenced to life in prison for each of the first-degree rape convictions, 35 years for the continuous sexual abuse of a child, 35 years for sexual abuse by a person in a position of trust and 10 years for the dangerous crime against a child.
Hearne received probation on the other charges. Should Hearne be released from prison, he would be required to register as a Tier III sex offender.
Deputy Attorney General Diana Dunn secured the sentence in Superior Court.
In 2011, Hearne was arrested for burglarizing a baseball concession stand, according to The New Journal database.
SIBLEY, Iowa (AP) - A former Sibley-Ocheyedan football coach and middle school teacher fired in 2015 after the superintendent found him sleeping in his classroom next to a middle school boy has been charged with sexual assault.
The Sioux City Journal reports (http://bit.ly/2pn07H) that 38-year-old Kyle Thomas Ewinger, of West Burlington, was fired after he was found with a 10-year-old boy sleeping on an air mattress. The newspaper says the boy at the time denied anything sexual had happened, but later said that Ewinger had performed a sex act on him, according to a March criminal complaint.
Ewinger was arrested Thursday and charged with second-degree sexual assault. He’s free on $10,000 bond. No attorney is listed for him in online court records, and a phone number for him could not be found.