Henry Fletcher, 81, of Farmersville, was recently sentenced to 40 years in prison for Aggravated Sexual Assault of a Disabled Child.
“Special needs children are the most vulnerable members of our community and anyone that harms them will be vigorously prosecuted,” Collin County District Attorney Greg Willis said.
According to information released by the Collin County DA, in June 2015, the intellectually disabled child, a 14-year-old female, went for a walk near her house in Farmersville. Fletcher, who did not know the child, coaxed her into his car. Fletcher took her to his house where he sexually assaulted her.
After the assault, Fletcher dropped the child off a few blocks from her house. She ran home and immediately told her parents. A sexual assault exam yielded biological material that was later compared to Fletcher’s DNA. DNA analysis confirmed Fletcher as the perpetrator.
At the time of the offense, Fletcher was 79 years old.
Farmersville Police Department Officer William Redding responded first to the scene and Collin County Sheriff’s Office, Child Abuse Task Force Investigator Danny Stasik investigated the case.
Judge Barnett Walker found Fletcher guilty of the offense of Aggravated Sexual Assault of a Disabled Child and assessed punishment at 40 years in prison. Assistant District Attorneys Ashley Keil and Geeta Singletary prosecuted the case, assisted by District Attorney Investigator Stephanie Strickland.
An Autryville man has been charged with multiple felonies, including rape and incest, following a Sampson County Sheriff’s investigation launched last week. It is the second time in three days a registered sex offender in Sampson has been charged in a new sex-related case.
James Earl Norton, 49, of 51 Peace Lily Lane, Autryville, was charged with statutory rape/sex offense on a defendant 6 years of age or older, as well as second degree rape and felony incest. His bond was set at $250,000 secured and, as of Thursday, he was still in jail.
Norton was taken into custody Wednesday at 1830 Hayes Mill Road, Godwin, reports state.
According to Lt. Marcus Smith, the actions were reported on June 14, and the investigation began the same day. The arrest came exactly a week later.
“The victim reported to authorities that inappropriate sexual contact was made by the suspect. The victim was 15 years of age at the time of the incident,” Smith said. “We are unable to release the date of offense at this time due to circumstances surrounding the case that can’t be disclosed.”
The lieutenant cited the “sensitive nature of the case,” noting that authorities could not release any further information at this time.
Norton is a registered sex offender and is on the N.C. Sex Offender Registry, available through the N.C. Department of Public Safety (NCDPS). The database has his registeration labeled as “aggravated” and notes it is a “lifetime” registration.
Norton was previously convicted in Sampson of first degree kidnapping, second degree rape, second degree kidnapping, felony breaking and entering and larceny, according to court records accessed through NCDPS. The convictions stemmed from offenses that occurred in September 2002, when Norton was 34 years old. The victim was listed as “18 and older,” in the N.C. Sex Offender Registry information.
He was convicted in March 2003, serving about four and a half years before being released in August 2007. His parole expired in 2012. In November 2009 he was convicted of mutiple counts of larceny and given a suspended sentence.
Newton has a court date of June 30 to face the new charges.
A man who raped a primary school pupil at Preston Docks 20 years ago has been caged for eight years.
Kieran O’Rourke, 34, was found guilty of two counts of rape and two of gross indecency against his victim, who was aged just eight at the time of the abuse.
Prosecuting, Guy Mathieson described how O’Rourke, who was then at high school, and the youngster would sometimes meet friends at a “hangout” close to the locking gates at Preston Docks. On one occasion when the pair were alone, he forced the little boy into the bushes and raped him.
The court was told O’Rourke, who is now dad to a seven-year-old child and three year old twins, had access to the young victim’s home at the time and took the opportunity to abuse him there.
In a harrowing statement the victim, who is now an adult, said: “ I find myself in a position of bringing my devastating past back to life. It has ruined my life in ways I would have never thought possible.”
He said he had turned to drug and alcohol abuse, had suicidal thoughts and had suffered relationship breakdowns and job problems due to the impact of the abuse.